Each new student of the Lazarists was allowed to choose the group he wanted to become part of. The groups were related to one of the houses on the monastery terrain. The three groups each had their own soccer team, an own theatre group and organized activities, in which the others were allowed to participate.
New Baltimore was located to the west of the Calvary-mountain. This house is called after prior William Slattery’s place of birth. William Slattery opened the house himself during his visit to Emmaüs in 1949.